Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Adventure Continues...

well the adventure in New York City continues.  I feel like a lot has happened since I last sat down to blog.  I can actually say that I am starting to really feel like I live in this city.  I think for awhile I just felt like I was here for a little while, but then I would be going home.  I am getting more into a routine and learning my way around.  I have to say that each day I am here I  fall in love with the city a little more.  Today was a day that I just felt so thankful to be here.  It was a beautiful day in  New York City.  The weather was perfect and everyone in the city was outside enjoying it!  I spent the afternoon in the park just walking around and watching all the entertainers!  In every area of the park there are people playing music or doing some kind of (sometimes unusual) act!  As we walked around I just felt so grateful that this city is my home.  This city has so much character and I love that.  Central Park is definitely my favorite place in the city.  I posted some pictures below of the park.  One of them is a picture of what I like to call "my rock".  This is a rock that looks out on the lake in the park.  I found it my 3rd day in the city and since that day I have visited it quite often.  Sometimes I do feel claustrophobic with all the people or just overwhelmed with life here and "the rock" is the place I want to go.  I run down there and  sit and listen to music or pray or just be still.  I know it may sound weird but I really love my rock.  It is a place of peace and quiet and rest in a city of constant movement and noise! I look forward to going there and I always know it will be there waiting for me:-)  

So one big thing that has happened since I last wrote is that I got an apartment!  This is so big!  so when I moved up here I moved in with two girls, one of which is my boss at Redeemer.  The plan has always been for me to just live here for the summer and then move in with a girl I know from South Carolina who is from up here.  She has a job in the city and we wanted to live together!  Well we did the big apartment hunt this past week and boy was it an adventure!  I can't even begin to describe to you what trying to find an apartment in this city is like!  For one thing you have to go into it with very low expectations about SPACE!  Well lets face it, there is no such thing as space in this city!  I mean one apartment we looked at did not even have a living room!  the apartment consisted of 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom.  The funny thing was the realtor acted like this was NORMAL!  Another apartment we looked at was right in Times Square!  I mean I could look out the window at the center of Times Square!  Meggie and I had to talk over the honking horns when we were looking in the apt!  Okay, so that is just two of the many apartments we saw.  We were starting to get really discouraged.  I have been praying for months that God would provide the perfect apartment for us!  I prayed for the perfect location and just the perfect place!  I don't know why I should be surprised:-)  but God provided the perfect apartment in the perfect location!  When we walked inside, we were both like WE LOVE IT!  It went on the market Wed morning and we snatched it up Wed afternoon! Crazy I know, but that is how apartments go here.  Most apartments are rented within days if not hours.  It is a tiny little apartment in the upper west side of Manhattan.  When I say tiny, I mean TINY!! But it is perfect  for us.  It has a cute little kitchen and living room and two small bedrooms (my bedroom will literally be big enough for my bed)  We are on a great street with tons of fun restaurants and stores.  We are only 5 blocks from the church we both attend and close to so many great things in the city!  We are 1 block from Central Park, which is amazing!  I am really excited to get into my own place with my own stuff!  I have a makeshift room right now, which is perfect for now, but it will be so fun for us to get settled in our own apartment in the City!  I think it will make my move here feel even more official!  Anyways, as you can tell I am really excited!  If you read this post in the next few days you can pray that all the paperwork goes through okay.  We are scheduled to sign the lease on Tuesday if everything goes okay!  Please pray that there are no glitches and that we are able to officially get this apartment! We have done most of the paper work, but I will feel better when my name is on that lease:-)
Once again I am so thankful in how the Lord has provided for me.  I just continue to be amazed at God's faithfulness in my life!  

I am actually going back down South on Wednesday.  One of my best friends from college is getting married on Saturday and I am going down to be a part of the wedding!  I am really excited to re-connect with my friends.  I know it has not been too long since I have been gone, but it will still be fun to see everybody.  I have to admit I am also excited about driving a car, getting a fountain drink(I love fountain drinks and everyone just sells bottles here), eating at a normal restaurant( I miss the my favorite chain restaurants), and seeing open land!  It will be nice to be out of the city for a few days, but I also know I will be excited to come back!  Once I get back my life will begin to get a little busier with my jobs, but i am excited about all that is ahead and the adventures that will continue on!  

bethany







MY ROCK
The Jazz musicians that play in the park on the weekends.  They are so good!

it felt like everyone in NYC was in the park this weekend!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so excited that you found an apartment with Meggie! God is so good! I will pray that all goes well in closing the deal! Miss you, but glad you are doing well!

Jennifer Werneth said...

bethany,
so glad you found an apartment that you love. i can tell that youre excited by all the exclamation pts! thanks for filling us all in!
jen