Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

Gratitude, Trust, and Promises

I sat at dinner with my friend Vicki a few months ago and as we were talking and catching up our lives she gave me the idea of an exercise that has in some ways changed my life.  She did this exercise with college students that she was speaking to at a campus gathering.

She had them take a few minutes and write down 5 things they were thankful for, 5 things they were trusting God for, and 10 things they knew to be true about God (his promises) As she shared this exercise with me I knew I needed to try it.  And as I sat down and wrote those things out I knew this needed to become a regular part of my life

I bought a small notebok to keep by my bed and started writing these things out.  I don't do it every night but I try to do it at least a few times a week.  I write out 2-3 things from the day that I am thankful for (i try to be specific). Sometimes they are big things and sometimes they are really simple/small things, 2-3 things I've trusting the Lord for.  Sometimes it has to do with that day and sometimes it is bigger picture things.  And then 2-3 promises of God.  After taking 5-10 minutes to write these things out I then pray and give these things to the Lord.  

People have told me that gratitude leads to joy and contentment and after doing this exercise on a regular basis for several months I am really seeing it.  On the nights when I can feel the most discontent or the most anxious I will pull out my notebook and in a matter of minutes my perspective will shift.  There is so much peace thanking God for the good gifts of today, trusting God with specifics things on my heart, and claiming a few simple yet powerful promises of him.  

It's been a sweet and simple way for me to meet with the Lord before I go to bed and the Lord is using it grow me in Him and trust him with my heart. 


post signature

No comments: