Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Thoughts on Saturday

On this Saturday before Easter I spent some time in Central Park.  As I walked along passing hundreds of people I thought to myself, "for so many of these people this is just another Saturday.  They don't understand what tomorrow means.  The good news that is coming!"  My heart broke a little for the many who are in my everyday life who don't know Jesus.

I came home and pulled out this book  that to this day is one of my favorite books.  Every year around this time I go pull the book off the bookshelf and read the chapter on "power and hope".  He talks about the Saturday after the crucifixion and the raw emotions that the disciples had to of been feeling.  He talks about the day of waiting, the day of hopelessness, and questions.  The day when the future looked so bleak.  Yet we know now what was to come.  And in the same way the disciples were waiting on that day we are often also waiting for God to show up.  For his power to be at work in us.  For the waiting to be over and for the good news to arrive.  But the truth I am reminded of is that the same power that raised Jesus from the dead is in those who believe.  And in the same way that on that Saturday many years ago God was waiting to do his best work imaginable, He also sometimes does his best work in us in the periods that feel like "Saturdays". The days of waiting, dissapointment, hopelessness.

I was reminded today how thankful I am that Jesus is so committed to me that he has and is working in and through my life through the Saturdays I have experienced.  And that most importantly I can have fullness of life and hope in him alone because of his death and resurrection.

Tomorrow will be an incredibly busy Easter Sunday for me as I work a very full day at Redeemer, but in the hundreds of children coming through the doors, the many logistics, the tired feet from standing for hours on end, and all the things that tomrrow will bring I don't want to lose sight of what Easter really means.  I am thankful for the gift that it is and that I get to celebrate it. I pray for the many people who  may hear this beautiful message of salvation for the very first time tomorrow that their hearts will be changed and that they would grasp what it really means that Jesus came to give them life.

And if you haven't heard this song you should listen to it.  I can't get over this line alone.
"That rugged cross was my cross and every breath you drew was hallelujah"

Happy Easter!  
May you grasps the depth of Jesus love for you on this Easter 

No comments: