Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Beginning of Our Story

I've sat down to write this post several times, but it's always hard to know the words to write.  The emotions are still so raw as I process this new chapter of my life and try to share it with others.  
When I look back on the last 10+ years of my life there has been 1 consistent desire, ache, and prayer of my heart.  The ache that has run so deep that some days it was physically painful, a desire that has filled my heart that I didn't know what else to do but to give to to the Lord, a hope that I often wondered if the Lord would ever fulfill.  Day after day and year after year I prayed that the Lord would give me the desire of my heart.  As I sought to live my life to the fullest each day that the Lord gave me I often wondered how he was writing my story.  I watched one friend after another meet their spouse and I bought 17 bridesmaid dresses in 12 years as I stood beside my closest friends and celebrated their wedding day.  I dated some, but one way or another each relationship ended with a broken heart. I had many nights where I felt forgotten by the Lord and prayed that I wouldn't doubt God's goodness to me.  I have lived a very full life of friendships, travel, ministry, adventures, and life in one of the most glamorous cities in the world.  Life has never been dull for me and the Lord definitely taught me so much about living in contentment, but the ache never went away.  

Moving to Birmingham was a step of faith for me.  I knew without doubt it was where the Lord was leading me, but it was one of the hardest decisions i've ever made.  My first day and months in Birmingham were some of the loneliest I've ever experienced. I again gave the desires of my heart to my Father and asked him to meet me in this city that was my new home.  As I settled in to my new life and role I saw the Lord provide for me each step of the way and show his faithfulness to me.  It was a sweet season of experiencing God as not just my Father but as my friend.  


And then October 7th came and I met this guy Dustin for a coffee date at Octane in Homewood.  I walked away from our time together knowing he was different and knowing that I wanted to see him again.  Thankfully he felt the same way and asked me out for another date!  I remember the night he called me after we had gone on a few dates and he said to me "I want to pursue you until you tell me to stop."  I remember smiling with hesitation when he said that because as much I believed he really was sincere, the hurt from my past caused me to doubt.  But I fought to believe him and slowly begin to trust him.  From the beginning Dustin was patient with me, he pursued me with consistency, and he never made me question his feelings for me.  He is a man of God who has fought to pursue me with integrity and purpose.  He showed me that I could trust him and as days went on my heart slowly opened to him.  

Dating Dustin was one of the most fun seasons thus far in my life.  We learned quickly that we saw much of life the same way, enjoyed many of the same things, and could have fun doing almost anything.  It wasn't hard or dramatic (like dating can at times be), but was simple and fun.  We talked for hours, traveled to meet friends and family, enjoyed Birmingham together, and even begin watching from the beginning my favorite show "Friends".  We often joked that we were waiting for the red flags to pop up, yet couldn't seem to find them.  As time went on it was clear that maybe God had called both of us to wait because he was going to bring us together.  


  I tell him now that he was the man that God used to heal my very hesitant and broken heart.  He's the answer to my many nights of desperate prayers, he's the one I waited for And I can honestly say he was worth the wait.  We dated for about 6 months when he asked me to marry him.  It was a dream come true for me and one of the most special moments of my life.  But that story is a story of itself and I will have to write that in another blog post!  

I've always prayed that if God did bring a husband for me that our story would be a testimony of his faithfulness.  As I think back on the years of singleness for both of us and then last 6+ months together I continue to be in awe of the very real way that prayer has been answered.  I hope to continue to write our story on here and for it to always be a reminder of what a good and gracious God we serve.  

To be continued....
(engagement story coming up next) 
                         









post signature

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful-that brought me to tears of happiness for you and I know your story gives hope to those still aching with loneliness. Thank you for sharing and I wish you all the best as your life unfolds together. :)

Julie D. said...

So happy for you, Bethany! This story is precious and it sounds like a very good foundation for a life time together. Rejoicing with you both!

Unknown said...

I loved reading this Bethany!! I am so thrilled that God brought you to Birmingham and that you met your husband here !!!! Can't wait to be a part of this special day !!!!

SabrinaGreen said...

I really love to read about your love life. Heathrow Terminal 2 Parking