Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Hudson's Heart

When I moved to NYC in 2008 I prayed for "a person".  You know like the Meredith and Christina friendship on Greys Anatomy (for all you people who still watch that show) 
I have it in my journal where I wrote it down for God to provide that kindred spirit of a friend in the giant city I was moving too.  Thankfully God answered it quickly in the person of Amy Sylvestre, (then Amy Alexander).  She was the first person I met when I interviewed at Redeemer, and the person who became my closest friend.  We worked side by side in a cubicle for 5 years, led a community group together for all those years, led a mission trip to South Africa together, and walked through the highs and lows of life side by side each and every day. It was a special friendship for so many reasons!  Years went by and eventually the Lord led both of us out of the city and provided a husband for Amy.  

one of our many adventures
to see Sugarland perform at the Pennsylvania fair


Even though miles separated us, the once in person friendship turned into a phone friendship. I remember when Amy told me she was pregnant with Graham.  She was visiting NYC after she had moved away and used  a Friends epsiode (which was perfect for us since we live our lives in Friends quotes) to tell me.  And I then I remember when she called me to tell me she was pregnant with Hudson.  

A few months later I remember the text when she told me that they saw something abnormal on her ultra sound and to please pray.  and then the text to say she was going into surgery to deliver sweet Hudson a few weeks early.    

I write all this because for the last 7 months one of my best friends and her husband have been on a very difficult journey.  And sweet baby Hudson has been fighting for his life, born with half a heart, from the cardiac intensive floor at Children's hospital of Pennsylvania. And tomorrow he is having is 2nd heart surgery and needs our prayer. 


As I sit miles and miles away wanting so badly for Hudson to be well and healthy and for this sweet little baby to not be fighting for his life all I know to do is pray.  And to ask others to pray. The thing is it's been so incredibly  difficult to see the Lord in all this, but I believe that he is.  I know that He is.  And I know that He is good father who loves Hudson so very much.  

And so tomorrow as you go about your day will you pray for him?  Will you pray for Hudson's surgery and for the many doctors who will be working on his heart tomorrow?  Will you pray for Amy and Corey as they entrust their son to the surgeons and as they wait while he is in the operating room.  Will you pray for Hudson's life and for the perfect plan that God has for him in the days, weeks, and years ahead?  

I know God is Lord of Heaven and earth and he is holding Hudson so very close to his heart tonight and tomorrow.  I know that God is in control of this story and that there is never a moment that Hudson is out of the reach of his father.  But times like this is when I believe Christians are called to join together as an army and fight together in prayer.  To enter the throne room on behalf of this 7 month old child and ask our father to work mightly.  My heart has hurt for 7+ months watching one of my best friends walk this journey.  And so for those of you who do read this blog I am asking you to pray.  Pray for my friend and for her son!  

If you want to read more about Hudson visit The "Hudson's Heart" Facebok page. 
And if you feel led to give towards Hudson's medical expenses you can go here

"The eternal God is your dwelling place, and underneath are his everlasting arms."
Deuteronomy 33:27

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn   if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me,  your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me  and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you;    the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being;    you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,   I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you  when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139: 7-16