Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Community Group Progressive Dinner

So I am going to begin posting about my final weeks in New York City.  Let me just begin by saying they were a whirlwind.  I look back on the month of October and am not really sure how I got through it all.  Moving in itself is a big tasks, but then you add in wrapping up a big job, and all the parties and dinners and good-byes and everything else that comes with wrapping up a chapter of your life and well it was just a big month.  Unfortunately my camera spent the majority of my final weeks in the shop, but I did manage to fill up my iphone with all the final moments.  
Since this blog is a scrapbook for me I plan to do lots of posts of of my lasts days in the city.  
So here goes the beginning of all the posts..

If you have read my blog at all you have probably heard me talk about my community group. After co-leading a group of women with Amy for 4 years our group multiplied in 2012 and we took on a new role in the group. I wrote a post about it here.  My community group from the beginning was my lifeline in the city.  I developed my closest friends in the city from the original group and then as the group multiplied and grew I had the opportunity to invest in many women and be a part of seeing the Lord develop laborers for Christ in the city.  Our groups reached the church and the city on so many levels and it was an amazing privilege to be a part of it. 

On one of my last weekends in the city a few of the girls in the 2 groups threw me a little going away progressive dinner.  It was a complete surprise (I thought I was going out to dinner with two of the girls) and so very fun.  our evening was split between 3 apts with delicious food and great conversation.  We even played a little "how well do you know Bethany game".
The"centerpiece" of the event was this incredible painting my friend Brittany did for me of Manhattan.  We carried this paining from apt to apt and I couldn't stop looking at it.  She included some of the parks and famous landmarks in the city and even included a spot where my apt is and where Redeemer is.  The painting is now hanging in my Birmingham apt and I absolutely LOVE it!  


My friend Erin remembered that my favorite dessert was Strawberry Shortcake, so she made me a homemade strawberry shortcake for the occasion (she even emailed my mom to find out if I had grown up with a favorite recipe). It was delicious! 


Group Selfie at dinner. 
(L-R) Elise, Erin, Daniela, Christy Ray, Min, Brittany, me, Robyn

 Robyn was the organizer of the evening.  It meant so much to me to have such a special evening with a few of the CG women! 
One of the hardest parts of leaving NYC was leaving my involvement in these groups.  I feel like I could write an entire post (and more) on the incredible work the Lord has done in and through the many women who have come through our CG's.  I have loved my time doing life with so many women walking alongside them through sin, hurts, grief, joys, and just day to day life.  I prayed when I moved to NYC that God would use me and I really feel like he did.  My hope and prayer is that I would continue to have opportunities to invest in the lives of women in Birmingham.  I know it will look different, but am hopeful that God will continue to use my passions and gifts in this new season in whatever way He wills. 
post signature

No comments: