Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Immeasurably More....

For the past several years I have always picked a word for my year.  It started with a previous boss challenging our team to do it and then expanded to my community group doing it and so forth.  It's been something cool that even today I still talk about with friends and it's always exciting to see what word people land on and how that word is brought forth in their life.

Last year I chose the word freedom and I really believe the Lord grew me in freedom last year.  I feel like through my understanding of freedom I was changed. I can look back on my life and see that specific fears that were gripping my life are not longer present and I feel more free in who I am in Christ.  I also believe that this word was a part of me making the decision to move to Birmingham.

As I thought about a word for this year I knew pretty quickly what it needed to be.  Last year at some point I was sitting in a Redeemer service and I was challenged by the fact of how small of a box I put God in.  I was challenged by my lack of understanding how great the Gospel is and that because of the Gospel I have an abundant life.  I have a life that is not up to me and what I can do.   My life is so much bigger than myself.  I have been thinking a lot about how big God is and that he really is so much more than we understand him to be.  I know that is somewhat of a "loose" idea but I've realized lately that I miss out on all that the Gospel is and means because I don't believe that God is all that He is.  It all came together for me when I was on cruise a couple weeks ago (more on that in another post) and I was looking out over the middle of the ocean with no land in sight.  All I could think is this ocean just goes on and on in the same way that God goes on and on.  And although there is an  end to the ocean (that I could not see at the time) there is no end to God.  There is no end to how deeply He can love, how hard he can fight, how much he can do.  He is a God that is immeasurably more and he can do immeasurably more.

I struggle to let God be a part of my whole life and to believe that He loves me so deeply and has promised to strengthen me with his strength, to fight for me, to free me from the bondage of sin, to hear my prayers, know my thoughts, see my need, and pour out in every way possible for me.  Just like when I looked out at the ocean and felt so incredibly small I want to feel small with God.  I want to be humbled before Him and for Him to be the great I Am in my life.  The one and only God who is the king of the universe and the king of my heart.

All of this to say I decided my word(s) this year would be "immeasurably more" From Ephesians 3:20-21.  I want to believe that He is a God who is immeasurably more and He can do immeasurably more.  I want to grow in living a life of weakness and brokenness this year that I would allow God to be my strength.  I want to live a life of faith and trust believing that God can do all things.  He just can.  There is nothing he can't do and there is nothing he won't do if it's his best.  I want to live boldly because I can in Christ.  I want to believe that God really can change me, he can change others, he can answer prayers.  I think I get so caught up in the day to day life that I forget how incredibly amazing it is that I have Jesus as my savior.  He has saved me from myself and He is committed to me until eternity. I can experience freedom, peace, hope, security when I really believe that God is who he is and the one who can and will do immeasurably more.

My prayer is that as I take hold of these words and live my life like I believe them that God will change me that I will experience more of Him and more of the blessing of Him in my life.  I know there is blessing when God grows us and changes us and I want to experience that this year.  I want to experience more of Jesus and less of me.  I want to be more humble , pray bigger prayers, walk in faith, and live in hope.  I can because I have the infinite God in my life and on my team.  He is with me and He is for me.

"Now to Him who is able to do fore more abundantly than all that we can ask or think according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. "
post signature

No comments: