Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2015

That time I went to NYC (twice)

So I officially moved out of NYC 6 months ago! How is that even possible?  But in these 6 months I have managed to make 2 quick weekend trips back up to the big Apple.   
The first one was back in March when NYC was still super cold and snowy!  There was something about seeing the city lights for the first time in those months away that made my heart want to burst out of my chest.  It's funny how this city that was once so scary to me has become such a deep engrained piece of my heart.  
On my first night in the city my friends Katherine and Robyn hosted a little gathering of friends for me.  Not only did Robyn hang this super cute sign for me but Katherine had a few of my friends bring me treats from my some of my favorite NYC spots (let's be honest I ate my way through NYC that weekend) It was such a sweet night with some of my favorites all in one place.  They even went around and all said one thing they missed about me.  It's amazing how loved you can feel even after leaving your "home" months before.  

I started off the next day with a brisk walk through snowy Central Park with Kat and Robyn.  In my mind Central Park is the only pretty part of having snow in the city.  
After a walk through the park it was time to get ready for the main event of my visit.  One of my 9A roommates Hannah's Wedding! If you have known me at all over the years you have known that I've had just a few a ton of roommates.  Between college, Campus Outreach years, NYC, etc I have gone through the girls. (mainly I say if you live with me you will get married, because all my roommates tend to get engaged while living with me) Out of all my roommates though I lived with Hannah the longest.  She was such an amazing roommate and friend and I was so thankful I could be a part of her wedding out in Long Island.  Our other 9A roommate Lindsay Ann (who got married a couple years ago) and our unofficial roommate Leigh Ann + their spouses and I all traveled out together.  It was such a fun night of celebration, food, and dancing!   



After the wedding I spent the my last day in the city attending Redeemer, having brunch with my OG(the official term for my "original community group"), and wrapping up time with friends.  Somehow I forgot to take pictures all day on Sunday. It was a whirlwind trip, but filled my tank after being away several months.  

The good news was I was making another quick trip up to the apple only 1 month later.  This trip would be even shorter, but it's amazing what 1 month can do in weather.  It was that warm, sunny, and picture perfect NYC weather. 
My first day on this trip I ventured to midtown to visit my Redeemer work friends, see the new office space, and have lunch with Kat Evans at our favorite Time Square go to  catch up/lunch date spot. (can't beat "The Counter" for having deep conversations while sitting 2 inches from the table of people beside you) 
 After time in Midtown I headed to visit the main reason for my visit.....
My favorite Taylor family (who was my NYC family all of my years there) was out of town when I visited in March.  I decided to make a quick trip to spend time with them and hang out with Sandi who has mentored me for the past 5+ years.  Sandi and I decided not to tell the girls I was coming, which made me showing up to pick them up at school so so so fun!  I wish I could have videoed their reactions when they saw me.  As soon as we got in the cab to head back to the west side they of course started talking to me non stop about everything in their life I had missed! 
On Friday while they were in school I was able to meet the 9A girls (same girls from the Hannah's wedding pic) for lunch, go on a walk with Erin, and hang out with Sandi.  I also spent some time in Central Park.  It was that perfect spring day in the park.  I of course stopped and listened to "Mr constant" for  a few minutes and spent some time reflecting on my time in the city and my months since leaving. 

 On Saturday I took the girls to one last breakfast before flying back south.  It's funny how kids think and how hard it is for them to understand change.  They spent the entire breakfast trying to convince me of all the reasons I should move back and even offering me to move in with them:-)  Thankfully Birmingham and NYC are not too far apart by plane and I know there will be many more visits in the future.  
 I left the city after this trip again with a full heart.  In some ways it was hard to go back and be reminded of the friendships I left and the city I love, but at the same time the Lord continued to give me confidence that He has me where he wants me right now. I'm learning that it's ok to  dearly love this city and the people who reside there, but also embrace my new home and my new life. 
Until next time NYC...
post signature

No comments: