Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

On Soaking it all In...

“Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.” - Nora Ephron

One week from tomorrow I fly out of the city with a one way ticket.  It's been such a crazy, busy, full couple weeks that I still feel like it hasn't hit me that I've moving.  I realized yesterday as I was sitting on "my rock" that I've been trying so hard to soak in every moment and hold on to it.  I want to breath in the sites, smells, taste, so that when I leave New York it would be a part of me.  But the thing is this city is a part of me.  I've lived a full life here and have invested deeply, and because of that New York City runs deep in my heart and will always be a part of me.  The days are slipping through my fingers and I can't hold on, but I can hold on to the memories and to the ways that that this city has impacted my life.  I honestly can't even begin to imagine what it's going to be like to not live here. It's weird because I've lived in other places far longer than Manhattan, yet living a city lifestyle is what feels so normal to me.  I know God is taking me out of this city for a reason and calling me to this new place and new life.  He's been really gracious to show me that the last couple weeks and in all the ups and downs that come with saying good-bye to so much He has shown me that the direction He is moving me in is right and that He is going to take care of me.  I know the peace is from Him, because if it were up to me I would be a complete mess right now.  Moving is hard and I know this is only the beginning of the emotions I will experience.  This move and transition is going to be a long road, but I am continuing to trust that what God leads us to He also provides for.  

For today though I am just trying to soak up as much of this city I love that  I can.  Fall in New York feels like a picture perfect movie scene.  It's the best season by far and and as much as New Yorkers (including myself)  try to post fall pictures on social media to show the world how pretty it is, you just can't beat the real live view.  I'm thankful I'm getting to experience this fall in the city and plan to to embrace this week as much as I possibly can.  It will be an emotional week with lots of "last" and lots of good-byes, but as A.A Milne says "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good-bye so hard".  

One day I will post on all the unbelievable ways my friends and co-workers have showered me with love, but for today I just want to enjoy my fellow New Yorkers and take hold of every moment this city is my home



post signature

No comments: